Monday, March 29, 2010

Laptop, Notebook, or Netbook?



Recently I have been thinking about buying a laptop computer and I began paying attention to articles, product reviews, and marketing information. I noticed three terms being used: laptop, notebook, and netbook, so I decided to find out what the differences are between the three products in order to decide which one I actually need.


<Acer Aspire Notebook


So far I have found that a laptop is closest in capabilities to a desktop computer so I need to decide if I need all those features or if I can work with less.


The laptop usually has a larger screen and better graphics than either the notebook or the netbook but since I’m not a game player this is not a deciding factor for my purposes.

The keyboard on a laptop is slightly smaller than on a desktop, while the keyboards on the notebook and netbook are much smaller – this is not only a comfort consideration but a functional one too; if the keyboard is too small it may interfere with my productivity.


A laptop and a notebook may have a DVD-RW drive but a netbook will not have one. The laptop is larger and heavier than either the notebook or the netbook so I’ll need to decide how much weight is practical to be carrying around with me. Battery life of a laptop is much shorter than on the lower-consuming notebook and netbook.


<Sony Vaio Netbook


I think I can eliminate the netbook since it is used for Internet browsing, email, and social networking but not for business software like Word, Excel, Quicken, and accounting applications, which I use every day.

If anyone from class can give me helpful information, or insights from their own experience, to aid in my decision-making it would be much appreciated!

http://www.howtoanswer.com/howto/computers/the-difference-between-laptops-notebooks-and-netbooks/

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/







5 comments:

  1. These three computers are pretty cool. There are so many different options that we have now, it’s almost hard to decide which one! The technological advancements in each of the three machines are specifically for satisfying the user’s needs. They are developed to be used by certain individuals who need these computers for various reasons. It’s pretty neat. The art perspective ties in to the shape and available sizes that they have. The small computers are for people who don’t want to take up much space, and the larger computers are for those who like larger screens. The money that is being brought in from these computers is imaginatively large! The idea behind the developments of the computers is neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I have always been a fan of the desktop. About 5 years ago, I couldn't resist buying a laptop for business purposes. The portability was what I needed. As my laptop now becomes slower with old technology, I have reverted back to my desktop. I recently had my old desktop wiped clean of the hard drive, and I currently have it hooked up to my flat screen TV in my living room. The memory storage is 80 gigs. As technology outpaces buying, society will realize what they had 5 years ago can still be used with a bit of tweaking. I wouldn't use a cell phone from 5 years ago, but with computers, it's all the same components, just faster and more reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this blog post to be funny for me beacuse I spent many hours of reasearch aroudn christmas time trying to figure out the differnce. My little sister wanted a computer and laptop style are the only way to own a computer in this day and age. I keep looking up prices and seeing the three styles listed and to me they all looked the same a first glance. I could not figure out what the buzz about those netbooks were. After figuring out the they were basically a portal to the internet and internet related activities I knew this what the one for my "online crazy" sister. T own the notebook becuase being a college student the more memory, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To this day I have never owned a laptop computer. I can see the appeal, but I have just never actually committed to buying one. For those who are on the move often, these portable devices can be considered a necessity. This is eye opening considering our entire society is become one that never stops moving. In my opinion, the biggest growth in technology that I've seen comes in the form of portable technology. People want things to be smaller, more efficient, and usable in any situation. Artists can carry their portfolios around inside their phones, scientists can carry data around in PDAs, and families can have entire photo albums inside one small device.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my laptop. I feel like its a great way to go. Laptops now a days can do anything a regular computer can do but is more accessible around the house. I can not think of life without my laptop around me.

    ReplyDelete